Reliance Chairman Mukesh Ambani today announced the JioPhone, a brand-new dirt-cheap feature phone that he said will deliver “digital independence” to all Indians. Here is a 5-point guide to Reliance Jio’s brand new feature phone.
“The Jio Phone would be available for an effective price Rs 0,” Mukesh Ambani, Chairman, RIL said. Customers would be required to pay a refundable security deposit of Rs 1,500 for three years, “for security reasons”, the company said.
Voice and data both will come free with an affordable monthly plan of Rs 153, Jio announced. “At a plan Rs 153 a month, it is only 3 per cent of the existing price putting an end to unaffordable data for all Indians forever,” Ambani said.
JIOPhone Highlights :
- The JioPhone is free, but you must deposit Rs 1,500 (fully refundable after 3 years).
- JioPhone users will get unlimited data at Rs 153 per month, entirely 4G, and all voice calls and SMS will be free.
- Testing starts August 15, pre-booking for the phone starts August 24, will be available in September on first-come first-serve basis. Jio says it aims to make 5 million.
- The JioPhone of course comes with Internet connectivity, follows voice commands, and recognises 22 Indian languages.
- Access to Jio services like JioTV, JioMovies, and others will be included.